- Heat the Coconut oil in a very large pot. Add oats, then cook and stir until starting to lightly brown.
- While oats are cooking, in a saucepan, melt the butter, honey and brown sugar, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
- Add the butter mixture to the lightly browned oats in large pot. Stir thoroughly and cook for at least 5 minutes, a little longer if you like your granola a little crunchy. With burner turned off, add coconut flakes, chopped almonds, and cranberries to the oat mixture. Stir well.
- Pour mixture out onto 4 large cookie sheets to cool.
- When cool, store in an airtight container.
Other nuts and fruit may be used as well. I often use chopped dates (rolled in oat flour and bought this way) flax seeds, pecans, raisins, pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds. (Whatever sounds good to you.)
I am not a cereal eater for breakfast and usually will only eat granola as a snack, maybe in the evening, but even I can't resist this one for breakfast sometimes.
I also have to give credit to where credit is due! I followed this recipe from Allrecipes, tweaked it a little, and then showed my recipe to Laura. Laura made it and tweaked it by adding more honey, and wow!!! What a difference it made!!! So thanks, Laura!